I'm Ben, a computational biologist, genomic detective, and entrepreneur.
I'm currently the Head of Bioinformatics at Deep Origin, where I lead the development of our computational biology and bioinformatics products. Deep Origin has the mission to accelerate life sciences R&D through better tooling and simulation. We just launched our first product, and we're hiring!
Before that, I led the bioinformatics team at Loyal, an early-stage biotech startup dedicated to extending the lifespan and healthspan of dogs. We collected saliva samples from thousands of dogs, and built multi-omic models of aging that used methylation, genetic variants, and oral microbiome readouts.
Previously, I did my PhD in Dr. Ami Bhatt's lab at Stanford University, where I used advanced genomic techniques to study the human microbiome. I'm proud to say I characterized the first examples of bacteria transmitted between the gut microbiome of adults and of phages transmitted from the gut microbiome of a mother to the gut microbiome of her infant.
Recent Blog Posts
- Cross-account AWS FSx for Lustre and S3 data repository associations 2023-12-06
- Introducing the ComputeBench: the cloud development environment for bioinformatics 2023-11-21
- Accelerated computing is the future of genomics 2023-01-10
- Bioinformatics in the cloud, on a budget 2022-10-22
- Getting a industry job after grad school 2022-10-02
- Why are bioinformatics workflows different? 2022-08-14
- Deploying redun to AWS Batch – troubleshooting 2022-07-05
Computational biology research projects